Friday 10 June 2016

Oboz Zaclady, Treblinka






Inwardly I was apprehensive about my visit to Treblinka. On a warm sunny afternoon the horror of what took place here was impossible to contemplate sufficiently. Just 74 years ago 800,000 Jews and probably more were murdered at this place in the forest.













I happened upon a memorial stone inscribed with the name Ciechanoweik, my destination that day. The stones symbolically represent the ashes of tens of thousands who were transported from these named towns. The main stone monument stands at the place of the gas chambers.

For those Polish Jews removed from the hellish ghettos of Warsaw this would be their end.

4 comments:

  1. Very brave, Tom, as I imagine the place is filled with bitter memories for the families of all those lost souls - too horrific to contemplate.
    On the bigger map, you look like you're in the middle of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right!

      I am somewhere now in Belarus with a few rubles to spend

      Delete
  2. So sad. Can't fathom how you have the energy to be dtill cycling every single day!!!!!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a day off in the capital cities, so my next rest day is Minsk

      Delete